A playwriting workshop in your school! 

Performs: All throughout the school year

Targeted to Grades: Middle School & High School, Grades 7th – 12th

Where: In your school or another selected site (often the Westport CoffeeHouse is available at no additional charge)

Length: The seminar may be held in one five-hour session OR in two sessions, each 2½ hours in length.

Cost: $300 for a maximum of 20 students. A teacher is required to be present throughout the seminar. (A mileage fee may be charged for travel outside of the Kansas City metro area.)

• To give a voice to emerging young writers, The Coterie offers a playwriting seminar in your school, based on Coterie Artistic Director Jeff Church’s acclaimed program that he originated at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. Students will learn to:
    •     create settings
    •     devise scenarios
    •     build characters
    •     write 2 monologues and 2 scenes
  • Upon completion of this seminar with a Coterie professional playwright/facilitator, young playwrights will have devised a beginning scene for a complete play. Following this seminar, promising participants 8th grade and older may be selected to develop their plays in The Coterie’s Young Playwrights’ Roundtable.
  • An advanced playwriting workshop is available allowing each student to create a company of characters they place into a variety of situations to help them find their play.

Testimonials

“Now when I write, I think a lot more about detail… I’m more confident in my writing.”
-Trailridge Student

“[I’d] never heard of this program and I thought it was good to get my advanced theatre kids out of school and learn something they did not know how to do… [Reaching the Write Minds] not only did that, but it was fun! ALL of my kids not only said they enjoyed it, but they loved it… great instructor… patient and kind and knew how to deal with them! They wanted to share everything…!”
-Timothy Haynes, Grandview High

For information & booking, contact Annette Filippi, Project Coordinator, at (816) 474-4241 or afilippi@coterietheatre.org.